Monday, April 25, 2011

Dustin's April 25th Letter

2011 April 25


Dear Mom

Easter here was pretty much like a normal day. There were a couple more families gathered together and Saturday night a lot of partying (but I am not sure if that is just every weekend in Iquitos). Oh yeah, and the whole day everyone in their house had movies of the life of Christ playing cause that is what came in on all the channels I think. So it was and is cool to see how everyone here, whether they are members of a church or not has a knowledge of the Savior. Sounds like you guys had a good Easter holiday like always and I cannot believe that you had TWO extra cheesecakes!!!! I would die to have a cheesecake! You know very well if I was home there is no way that there could be left over cheesecake :) And now, for my new area: First off, my new area is tiny compared to my old one and we have a ton of paved roads and there isn`t a ton of mud cause the ground here is sand not dirt, so that is good. I still have a part of my area that is flooded like my other area but the difference here is that it is still raising and in Pucallpa it was already going down. So we are in for more rain and more wet. My first week in Iquitos was awesome! We only have one ward here, but there used to be sister missionaries here. Which means that me and my Comp. are new here. My companion is Elder Zuniga and is from Nicaragua. He has about 3 months in the mission and came from an area in Lima. The area book was not a very good help as I thought it would be. There were a total of 5 teaching records and 4 of them were new with less than 1 lesson taught and 1 progressing, Nada Màs. But we have 13 new investigators now but we only taught 20 lessons this week, but it is all going great! We have one baptismal date for the 7th of May, we had two but one went back to Lima and is going to get baptized there. This area is the best and I am learning a ton here. My companion is pretty new to the mission thing but isn`t afraid to talk. He also has a strong Nicaragua accent when he talks he also uses a lot of slang from there but he is super cool. Yes, I did fly in, and I was alone :/ it felt super weird. When a got to the airport I figured my comp. would be waiting for me and that he had already been in Iquitos for at least one transfer, but when I got there, no one was waiting, or even planning on coming! Haha ha. I waited for 30 min. thinking they were just late (cause everyone here is always late to everything) then I called the assistants cause I don`t know the number of the Z/L and they came about an hour later and I found out that my comp. just got there about 2 hrs. before I did. The next day was my birthday and no one knew about it and I even forgot, Haha ha, but don`t worry cause the zone and the members in Pucallpa already celebrated it cause they knew I was leaving.

I love you mom, and I am doing great here. I hope to lose a little bit of weight but we`ll see.

Love,

Elder Divis

No comments:

Post a Comment